Thoughts on RPG Reviews

I posted a review of Frontier Scum on Bones of Contention just over a week ago! Well, sort of a review. I'm not really that interested in the game itself which, as I say in the introduction, is "totally serviceable". The wording and placement of that whole mini-discussion was intentional on my part, to signal that there is not much remarkable about the game as such (the rules and all that) if not for its presentation. Overall, I'm a very easy-to-please player anyway and don't care much about rules if they're not going to annoy me. It's not a bad rulebook; it's a fine rulebook. I don't know if good rulebooks even really exist.

But I think my attitude touches on a certain discourse about reviews, and whether reviewers should play games or adventures prior to reviewing them. The main reason why this has become an issue is because big-name reviewers tend to be commercial, not wanting to say anything too critical about works, often being paid by publishers, and put under social pressure to release reviews regularly. The solution? Don't play books, just read them! Do they look pretty? Should you buy it? I also find that irritating and totally get people being frustrated by that.

That being said, here's my hot take: if you are a hobbyist reviewer with no reason to be overly nice, with no obligations to publishers, and with no pressure to publish regularly, there are contexts in which it's totally sensible to review (or, more broadly, discuss) game materials without using them in play. Taking my review of Frontier Scum as an example, I am specifically interested in how the text postures itself politically and claims to be analogous to the American West—and not because I'm an enjoyer of the Western genre, obviously, but because I think criticism of historical writing is interesting and important.

Meanwhile, I don't think there's much interesting to say about rolling 1d4–1d4 for your attributes, or about rolling d20 to see if you shoot someone, or even about role-playing a character in the West. It's all just fine in the way that most rulesets are if they are not headaches. Part of it is that I am not the target audience or that, like I said, I'm perfectly content to do whatever as a player. It being 'pretty' and well-organized is, in a way, the best I can hope for. But it's nothing to write home about. I don't care about whether people should buy Frontier Scum as much as I care about it as a text, and whether it succeeds at doing what it tries to do.

If my critique of the setting is one cent, I hope this post adds up to two cents so you have the full context of my opinion of the book and why I chose to focus on the setting. My verdict is that if you really want to play a Western as envisioned by the setting, the book won't stop you and it'll be generally helpful. But, you know, do you have to know about the other ¾ of the book for what the first ¼ says it's going to be like? Finally, none of this is to bash on the book but just to indicate that I don't think there's much to say except for that. So I'll keep reviewing fictional texts as fictional texts if I think they're interesting to talk about, and I'll review game materials as game materials if they're interesting as such.

Edit: Not gonna entertain weird, aggressive sockpuppet comments. I did accidentally misspell Brian as Bryan, sorry about that, but misgender? I referred to their pronouns literally twice throughout the whole thing, using what he has listed. I have no ill will against Yaksha, and just wanted to evaluate his work as an analogy for the West. Sometimes people say negative things about someone else's work, but that is not a moral judgement on the other person. Be serious and sincere about accusations you make against others' character.

Comments

  1. The review that you wrote about Frontier Scum was not really a review of a game per se (as you point out). It was a critical analysis of the concept of the setting and its presentation. You discussed what the game means culturally, as you see it, not what it is to play that game. I still think people who review games and modules should play them first, but I have heard many arguments (from authors of such reviews) that it's a useful service, when it offers constructive criticism. (That hardly ever happens.) I can't say your review was constructive criticism, but it wasn't a game review, anyway: it was cultural criticism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you tom, glad that it came across as such :) i think i miss doing lit crit in school haha

      also i agree generally speaking, though i also think there are judgements that can be made without playing -- especially about the fiction of a thing

      Delete
  2. Like Tom said, it was clear what about the game you were critiquing, and it does not seem as though playing the game would have any bearing on those criticisms. You weren't trying to do a holistic, or play-oriented review, and it was not represented as such. I enjoyed the review and there should be space for those kinds of things. And for a certain audience, I'm sure they won't care about that stuff and just enjoy the game for what it is regardless, which is maybe, at least in this case, probably just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you max :) i'm glad that the angle made sense and was still interesting, that means a lot

      Delete
  3. I found your review the type of thing that is vitally needed. That is, an internal back and forth in the left to serve the development of a leftist poetics. Not that there has to be a singular vision of this, but it seems important to highlight significant pitfalls as you have done. It's a shame if this has to occur in a context where one party's position is tied up with the promotion of a commercial product, but impossible to avoid in this case.

    Compared with earlier creative mediums, the small RPG creator has great freedom to challenge conventional wisdom around social relations. But the techniques at our disposal emerged from a context which lacked this freedom. I.e. where institutions such as producers and publishers dictated the voices that come to the fore. In so far as a dominant poetics emerged from this period, it is one enmeshed with the interests of "the ruling classes". Resultantly, off-the-shelf genres won't likely be a great basis for an alternative leftist poetics. Such a poetics will likely need to be developed from scratch, requiring much self analysis of the sort undertaken in your review.

    Even if I have the same political position as a creator, this won't necessarily translate into a product that works for me, just because of the baggage inherent in the creative tools at our disposal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for your encouragement! :) but 100% agree, it's difficult if not impossible to use the generic conventions of a genre intertwined with colonialist/capitalist ideology than to explore what new or non-conventions might look like. one possible route might be to emulate the desires and interests of characters without projecting one's own interests or ideology onto them; frontier scum would be a very different game if you were the advocate of the state rather than its opponent, which is currently one point at which its attempted critique falls apart (by trying to both suppose the cowboy as protagonist and the West analog as antagonist). it's all difficult to say without trying, though!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plagiarism in Unconquered (2022)

OSR Rules Families

Bite-Sized Dungeons