Switching from Spotify to the Open Seas

I heard that Spotify is switching to an annoying interface and I didn't want to keep paying $10 a month for it, so I'm switching back to VLC and downloading MP3s like I used to do in high school. I didn't want to grab individual songs to start with because it's kinda tedious, so I thought about which couple of albums I could listen to if I had nothing else.

In alphabetical order!

  • Aly & AJ, We Don't Stop.
  • Carly Rae Jepsen, Dedication.
  • Carly Rae Jepsen, Dedication Side B.
  • Carly Rae Jepsen, Emotion.
  • Carly Rae Jepsen, The Loneliest Time.
  • Daddy Yankee, LEGENDADDY.
  • Fall Out Boy, Folie à Deux.
  • Rosalía, MOTOMAMI.

LMAO, I didn't expect to be on CRJ lockdown for the afternoon but I guess I couldn't help myself. After that, I added a couple songs by Bad Bunny, Cardi B, Chloe Moriondo, Doja Cat, The Killers, Lil Nas X, Matchbox Twenty, Paramore, Rascal Flatts, Speedy Ortiz, Taylor Swift, and others. Every time I start with a new library of music like this, it's fun having to think like intentionally about what I can listen to and won't get tired of (before I add new songs over time).

My hope is to become a BTS girlie before the end of this year because kpop stans seem like they're the happiest people around. I want to feel that. But they're also kind of funny. Like my partner said, "They don't know what skrrt means." But I don't know if Rosalía has ever heard gunshots either (and thometimes I hear her put on a Caribbean accent and it'th like girl you thould know what you're thouppothed to thound like) and she still slaps.

Oh, I also got a ton of Eurovision songs! I guess that's all where I'm at right now.

Comments

  1. That is how I've been starting to feel about video streaming platforms; I've started dabbling with Plex again. I currently use a combination of Spotify free (the platform itself is aging poorly but their recommendation algorithm cannot be beat so I still listen to my discover weekly and release radar) and Amazon Music (I get premium for free on a family plan from a family member who is an employee). If not for that family plan, I'd probably use some combination of youtube, soundcloud, bandcamp, and maybe even mp3's as you're saying. But ya, I do have to say, Spotify has been for years and continues to be my best source for discovering new music, new genres, and really expanding my tastes, all from just having a really excellent recommendation algorithm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right!! being able to get recommendations, and even just save music so easily, is one of the nice things about streaming that i miss when not 🥲 first time hearing of plex as a zoomer, will have to check that out since it looks like it covers a lot of bases!

      Delete
    2. Plex has gotten a lot better over the years too. It used to be a little cumbersome and require more technical knowledge, but nowadays you just point it to a folder, and it basically turns it into your own personal netflix.

      Delete
  2. Finally, some good fucking music

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspected that you had immense power - I must admit that I snooped on your Spotify through Discord once and you were listening to an Aly and AJ song - but not on this scale. This makes my week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS oh my god cannot believe you are also one of the aly & aj girlies i absolutely love that for you. seriously their comeback music helped me get through the second half of my college time -- less so their husband divorce fantasy album tho even that one has bangers ('slow dancing' has to be the best covid song). i will always remain dedicated to their cause.

      Delete
  4. Here is an interesting tool for this sort of thing. https://jdownloader.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for sharing!! had been using a tool to specifically record spotify audio, but that looks easier and less time-consuming 😂

      Delete
    2. No worries! What were you using for spotify if you wouldn't mind sharing. I am finding my way into other seas for things at times. ;) Thanks!

      Delete
    3. i was using spytify! :) apparently you have to be careful bc spotify can sometimes tell if you're recording, but i didn't have an issue on my end https://jwallet.github.io/spy-spotify/overview.html

      Delete
  5. Spotify's new mobile UI is indeed one of the most wretched things I have ever used. My ancient walkman mp3 player is still the reigning champ but alas, its battery lasts about 10 minutes anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plagiarism in Unconquered (2022)

OSR Rules Families

Bite-Sized Dungeons