Southern Mac & Cheese

This is a cross between two recipes. One of them required more ingredients that I don't usually have in my apartment [1], and the other one was like super plain and also locked behind a paywall once you open the website a couple times [2]. Literally like if you don't have any spices, what's the point? Anyway, posting it here is easier than having notes on my phone or a text file on my computer! Goodbye recipe screenshots.

I'd probably want to give the first recipe a go for Thanksgiving though, for like the extra effort. I want everyone to love me for it and promise not to be rude to me as a person. Maybe this will persuade them! (Half-joking.)

Ingredients

  • 8 oz elbow macaroni.
  • ¼ cup (1 stick) butter.
  • 1 large egg.
  • 2 tbsp flour.
  • 1 cup whole milk.
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper.
  • 2 tsp garlic powder.
  • 3 tsp onion powder.
  • Salt and pepper.
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
  • 1½ cup Mexican blend of cheeses.
  • French onions (optional).

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Cook pasta al dente. Put it somewhere else idk.
  3. Reduce stove heat to medium-low.
  4. Mix butter, egg, and flour in saucepan. Stir constantly.
  5. Mix milk slowly, a few tablespoons at a time.
  6. Mix seasonings. Salt and pepper to taste?
  7. Mix all cheddar and 1 cup of the Mexican blend cheese. It should be well-incorporated.
  8. Add pasta into mixture.
  9. Pour mixture into pan.
  10. Add French onions and remaining ½ cup of Mexican blend cheese on top.
  11. Bake for 30 minutes.
  12. Broil on high for 3 minutes. Don't burn it, but make sure the crust looks nice.
  13. Let stand for 10 minutes.

If you cook just this amount, you're going to have a flat casserole so you might want to double everything? But I wasn't going to make enough macaroni for like eight people. I don't want to eat macaroni for a week. This should make like four normal servings, but you know how it is.

Something else I wanna try is boiling the pasta in chicken broth, and putting some french fried onions in there like a proper casserole. I think that would kinda serve deliciously.

Endnotes

[1] Imma. 2018-09-19. "Southern Baked Mac and Cheese".

[2] I'm literally just going to link it because I can't even look at the article to find the author or publication date. Fuck you, NY Times!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagiarism in Unconquered (2022)

OSR Rules Families

Bite-Sized Dungeons